Sunday, November 2, 2008

In the World Not In My Head

Being present to one another seems so simple, but it probably is the most difficult task I have.    I wonder how much more kind I could be to others if I paid full attention.   I am talking about with my kids, with my husband, with my friends, the cashier at the grocery store, the massage therapist, the trees (yes the trees too!)    Today I am feeling such a strong desire to get out of my cage (which sometimes is my head and other times my all too perfect life) and be more present to the stories of humanity locally and globally.  I am not talking about reading them, I do that all of the time.   I am talking about experiencing them.    I need to go globe trotting!!!

I am working on an immigrant and refugee integration initiative with United Way.   We are reviewing grant requests now and trying to figure out how to create a welcome center for this population.  The center would help our brothers and sisters integrate more easily into the community.   Going through this process can be such an intellectual exercise.   Remembering too pause and listen, to really listen to what we need from one another is difficult.    Does anyone have the magic formula?   I know, I know, meditate.    I need to be in the constant state because my head is a pretty strong and an amazing beast!   It is somewhat threatened by the graceful and resilient softer side of my spirit.   Whew....oh well, it is the battle of the ages (certainly this is more fun for me to watch than the battle of the sexes).    

No comments: