Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Our Soldiers

I am a pacificist.   I accept that war is sometimes unavoidable, but usually is because of our own collective failings from years or decades ago.   Also, to avoid some wars almost perfect knowledge and foresight is necessary.   I firmly do not support the Iraq war and had struggled with soldiers who chose to fight.   I am becoming more aware of the incredible bravery of these men and women along with the sacrifices they make.

Many choose to fight for us, for me, without regard for if we are aware or thankful for their sacrifices.   Whatever has moved them, they believe their service is necessary to serve humanity or their country.   While I still have a different view of the war, I thank those who sacrifice so much in pursuit of what they believe.   I pray that we all may have wisdom when making choices that involve life and death.    



1 comment:

Anne at Green Harmony said...

We are an incredibly arrogant society. We assume that we know what is best for the entire world. Without regard for the uniqueness of different cultures or their environments we burden others with our concepts and beliefs, and are surprised when they choose not to build our way, create a well our way, or believe in our "truths."
I suggest we "Seek First to Understand." Instead of soldiers who give up their lives. Perhaps we could have ambassadors who share their lives listening and seeking "First to Understand."